FOOD IS SYMBOLIC OF LOVE WHEN WORDS ARE INADEQUATE.”
~ALAN D. WOLFELT
Since it is Valentine’s day today we wanted to make a valentine-themed dessert. Something we’ve always wanted to try to bake were red velvet cupcakes or a red velvet cake. And we thought this would be a perfect valentine’s dessert. So here is a recipe for these lovely cupcakes (we used the recipe from hummingbird). We absolutely loved them and hope you will too.
- 60 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 40 ml red food colouring
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 120 ml buttermilk
- 150 g all purpose flour
- 1 x 12-hole cupcake tray, lined with paper cases
- 300 g icing sugar, sifted
- 20 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125 g cream cheese, cold
For the mixture:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Put 40g butter and the sugar in a bowl and mix them until it is a light and fluffy mixture. Turn the mixer up to high speed, slowly add the egg and beat until everything is well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, red food colouring and vanilla extract to make a very thick, dark paste. Add to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly until evenly combined and coloured. Whilst mixing slowly, add half of the buttermilk.
- Then add half of the flour and mix until everything is well incorporated. Repeat this process until all the buttermilk and flour have been added. Turn the mixer up to high speed and beat until you have a smooth, even mixture.
For the frosting
- Put the icing sugar and 20g unsalted butter in a bowl.
- Stir them.
- Add the cream cheese in one go and beat it until it is completely incorporated.
- Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Do not mix for too long, as it can quickly become runny.
After your done with your mixture and frosting you can put the mixture into the paper cases and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Leave the cupcakes to cool for a bit. When the cupcakes are cold, add the cream cheese frosting on
Have a lovely Valentine’s day!
Kiki~Jane & Lily~Rose